Spare my port 1433/4, would you?

Since the SQL Slammer runs rampant on the net, I received so many request on those ports from unknown servers that I have never visited; I am in acknowledge of such because I haev blocked the captioned ports in my firewall, but request still comes in and stolen my bandwidth; seems no fix for these culprits?

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar19.webp

193 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-08
Since the SQL Slammer runs rampant on the net, I received so many request on those ports from unknown servers that I have never visited; I am in acknowledge of such because I haev blocked the captioned ports in my firewall, but request still comes in and stolen my bandwidth; seems no fix for these culprits?

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar32.webp

671 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-05-04
Unfortunately not.

Blocking ports with your firewall just means that any probes on those ports won't get anywhere. There's no way to actually stop the probes from coming in (excpet to pull the network cable).

193 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-08
OP
woot...you guys are just super helpful. I have tons of info to digest. Thanks a lot. 8)

193 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-08
OP
Well, having read through your APK.html article, uit surely is fun and informative, albeit in a minimalist approach

I have one point to add is that I have never bind the TCP/IP stack to my homeLAN NIC, since I dont use any ICS on my LAN; I have this for some additional fail-safe precation cheers.

193 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-08
OP
I am in fact not using a router-hub, just two NIC with dual box; I found this to be effective and apparently no side effect for many OSes and apps. in time span of about a decade!

On a side note, I also never bind microsoft networks client and IPX/netbios protocol to my cable NIC. My network is imcomplete acoording to Microshaft, lol

Your work is valuable anyway, as it encompasses all possible measures to it.