strange windows 2003 msg

Does anyone know what this msg means? I have encountered it running 2 different programs that worked flawlessly in XP. Windows cannot open this program because the license enforcement system has been tampered with or corrupted.

Windows Software 5498 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar31.webp

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-01
Does anyone know what this msg means? I have encountered it running 2 different programs that worked flawlessly in XP.

"Windows cannot open this program because the license enforcement system has been tampered with or corrupted. "

I have tried to run them in compatibility mode but no avail, and google only revealed some crytic error code MSDN.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
This sounds an aweful lot like some sort of DRM (Digital Rights Managment) error message. I could be wrong but do you have Windows Media Player 9 installed and do you have the DRM enabled on it ?!?

I'm sure somebody will have a better answer then me, I've never seen this one before.

EDIT: I found more info on Microsoft's MSDN site. Seems to be related to web based apps or something like that.

Error Code 1278

This may then have something to do with .NET/C# coding, not sure however

data/avatar/default/avatar31.webp

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-01
OP
yeah i found that link as well. I've got no clue what it could be about. So are you saying DRM should be enabled in WM9?

its weird because Im just running a small util and it has nothing to do with media or anything like that.

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
That is the question isn't it, I really don't know but perhaps the fact that you are running W2K3 may have something to do with it

I myself don't like nor want/use DRM but perhaps with this version of the OS you're forced/coerced into using it wether you like it or not and perhaps this is the result of using a non-Paladium enabled app.

Could somebody with more .NET experience help on this one, anybody ?!?

data/avatar/default/avatar19.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-13
I was having the exact same error message for an executable. On a whim I did this and it worked

Right click the exe
Choose Run As
Select administrator and use the admin password. Walla.

Hope this works for you.