The Need For Speed under Windows 2000 SP3

Can I get the game The Need For Speed (DOS-Game ) work for me? I know it works fine under WinXP - so I hope it works under Win2k, too. ;(.

Windows Games 5469 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar20.webp

26 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-08-03
Can I get the game "The Need For Speed" (DOS-Game ) work for me? I know it works fine under WinXP - so I hope it works under Win2k, too. ;(

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
Which video card do you own?

I've noticed that with Nvidia cards then VESA modes do not function as well under NT4/2K as well as they do under XP due to Microsoft enabling a bit more VESA access in XP.

ATI cards seem to be able to access all VESA modes fine in NT4/2K/XP with only mouse cursor access being a problem in NT4/2K in DOS games.

In the case of The Need For Speed if you have tried to run the game in a full screen NTVDM command prompt and you have executed TNFS.EXE and you just receive a blank screen and/or exit to the desktop then your only remedy is to use Connectix Viirtual PC ( www.connectix.com) and play the game within that, play the game in real DOS, or play it in Windows XP.

The game works fine for me in NT4/2K/XP with my Radeon 9700 pro but as I have mentioned before with my GF3/4 it only works in XP.

26 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-08-03
OP
Yes I own an ATi video card I will test it

26 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-08-03
OP
doesn't work for me

I started the MS-DOS-Console in FullScreenMode, but after the starting tnfs.exe he jumps back to the command prompt

data/avatar/default/avatar32.webp

989 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-14
Quote:Which video card do you own?

I've noticed that with Nvidia cards then VESA modes do not function as well under NT4/2K as well as they do under XP due to Microsoft enabling a bit more VESA access in XP.

ATI cards seem to be able to access all VESA modes fine in NT4/2K/XP with only mouse cursor access being a problem in NT4/2K in DOS games.

In the case of The Need For Speed if you have tried to run the game in a full screen NTVDM command prompt and you have executed TNFS.EXE and you just receive a blank screen and/or exit to the desktop then your only remedy is to use Connectix Viirtual PC ( www.connectix.com) and play the game within that, play the game in real DOS, or play it in Windows XP.

The game works fine for me in NT4/2K/XP with my Radeon 9700 pro but as I have mentioned before with my GF3/4 it only works in XP.

I find the whole VESA thing with GF3/4s to be really strange considering my Riva TNT seems to have no problems hitting the higher VESA modes. I haven't done half the testing you have yet (the only tests I've done so far have been with Duke Nukem 3D and NOLFB.COM and I was able to go up to 1600x1200 with no problems) though so perhaps it'll come out the same when testing with other stuff. If I remember I'll look up the thread on VOGONS and grab all the test programs you mentioned and do more thorough testing.