Thoughts on NVidia Detonators 42.82 or better...

still a pile of s*** for serious gamers at least, every driver since 42. 01 brings a black flickery screen thats worse on your eyes than i'd imagine playing at 20hz would be, in Quake 3 if you ctrl-esc to another app (such as mirc in on top mode) or alt-enter to windowed then back.

Everything New Technology 1823 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar38.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-07-02
still a pile of s*** for serious gamers at least, every driver since 42.01 brings a black flickery screen thats worse on your eyes than i'd imagine playing at 20hz would be, in Quake 3 if you ctrl-esc to another app (such as mirc in on top mode) or alt-enter to windowed then back.

every single one (

I can't imagine this to JUST effect q3, surely at least all q3engine games ? if not many openGL ones.

win xp
geforece 3 ti-500
q3@800x600x32 vync off

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

18 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-03
Hey APK, what exactly is watchdog ?

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

117 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-09-14
I just got rid of my nVidia card for an ATI 9700, but I can tell you I had some serious problems with the 42.82s. I had a Geforce 3 and had serious problems with DVD playback. Often PowerDVD would report back a problem with nview for some reason, usally a reboot would clear it. I never experienced it with the drivers prior to the 42.82s. But I noticed most during noone lives forever 2. About halfway through the game I upgraded to the 42.82s and it would take much longer to load each level. Weird. I quickly went back to the old drivers.

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

117 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-09-14
I rolled back to the 40.72 version. Was the most stable Detonator 4 for me. I think it was WHQL too. Maybe that has something to do with it. I have experienced better luck with drivers that are WHQL certified. Also the 41.09 drivers gave me nview problems too now that I think of it.

I also posted a very small improvement in 3DMark 01 going back to the 40.72 driver but nothing to write home about.

Hope this helps.

data/avatar/default/avatar16.webp

1623 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-12-06
the 43.00 drivers are stable for me in 2d modes. Now if i could only get my damn Radeon 9500 working i wouldnt worry about nVidia cards. Time to go buy a new motherboard