tried to update driver on radeon 9800 pro, now i get errors, won't install

at the login screen to city of heros, i got a message that said i need to update video driver. so i went to and went to download and install the new software for my radeon 9800 pro. when i installed, i got the error that it needed to be in standard vga mode.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar14.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-22
at the login screen to city of heros, i got a message that said i need to update video driver.
so i went to http://www.ati.com and went to download and install
the new software for my radeon 9800 pro.
when i installed, i got the error that it needed to be in standard vga mode.
then i went to the sys info under device manager and i had under display adapters radeon 9800 pro and also radeon 9800 pro secondary. both had a red X in the little box.
so i deleted them and rebooted.
this time i let windows install it all by itself.
well it installed it but it said it couldn't successfully install it and said "could not find a specific file."
this is now where i am at the present, under device manger now i have radeon 9800 pro with the yellow explanation mark in the box. the video is working fine, however, when i reboot or shutdown, the windows "found new hardware", "found new device keeps popping up" so i have to re-install all over again
any suggestion, thanks

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

738 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-11
At this point I would suggest a complete removal of the catalyst drivers and a reinstallation

A) Run the uninstaller found in either the ATI driver folder found in the root of the C drive or in the control panel applet.

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

C) Reinstall the ATI or Omega drivers, whatever your preference is

HTH