VB apps for NT 4.0, under 2000 or XP

I wrote some apps for NT 4. 0 using VB 6. 0. Those apps when run under Win2000 or XP have video problems. For example my file menus on top are initially missing and then they appear, but you cannot click on them or anything and they are on top covering another part of the program.

Windows Software 5498 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar12.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-05
I wrote some apps for NT 4.0 using VB 6.0. Those apps when run under Win2000 or XP have video problems. For example my file menus on top are initially missing and then they appear, but you cannot click on them or anything and they are on top covering another part of the program. Also I have a picture loaded on the splash screen while the program is loading and it is a different size under XP,2000, yet the box it was created in is the same size. The resolution is the same on all machines testesd. I have tried this on identical computers with the same results. If someone has any ideas please let me know. Also I can send screen shots if someone needs to see more info.

thanks for any help

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
Hi Lincster and Alec,
I would imagine that you just need to install the Service Pack 5 runtimes on the system in question. Can you post a screenshot of the problem if that doesn't fix it? Also are you using only controls that come with VB or does your app integreate custom controls, because the problem may be related to the custom controls. I have written a number of VB 6 apps on 98 and NT, all of which run flawlessly on Win2K. In fact the VB development environment has never been as stable as it is on Win2K for me anyways. It may be that your application has some scaling code issues that are being manifested by an increase in your desktop resolution. Why don't you set your desktop to the same resolution, taskbar configuration, and color depth you had on NT and see if you app doesn't behave better.
Good Luck,
Christian

data/avatar/default/avatar12.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-05
OP
You guys have given me a lot of things to check into thanks. The problem thought is defintely not a resolution thing. I am using 3rd party user controls. The are the Sheridan controls. I am gonna try the Service pack thing and see how that works first.
Thanks a bunch. Will let you know my results.