Win 2000 High Memory Usage and Poor Performance

Hey I have got a problem with a windows 2000 machine i have built: When the computer is first turned on and task manager is opened when the performance tag is opened the memory usage meter is running fairly high.

Windows Software 5498 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar34.webp

133 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-10-09
Hey

I have got a problem with a windows 2000 machine i have built:

When the computer is first turned on and task manager is opened when the performance tag is opened the memory usage meter is running fairly high. The system has 128Mb DDR ram and the used memory is 124 ish! but no programs are running and there does not seem to be many applications running in the background.

The next problem is the mouse, it is a Logitech cordless mouse, and when the mouse cursor is moved over the desktop and / or when the start menu is opened etc the mouse cursor freezes, its like it crashed temporarily then carries on again (the battery power in the mouse is good)

Finally the computer seems to reboot itself when surfing the internet or carrying out processor intensive tasks like installing programs etc and also generally crashes. The system specs are below

AMD Athlon XP 1600
128Mb DDR 2100 Ram
MSI Motherboard
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP Graphics card
SB Live Player 1024
Maxtor 40GB 7200 rpm Hard Disk
Logitch Cordless Mouse

Could the problem be memory related? could the mouse drivers be incorrect or not installed properly?? i have no idea lol

ALSO Running Windows 2000 with SP3

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

430 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-04-09
First of all 128MB RAM isnt really a decent amount of ram for Windows 2000 so you can expect it to be high usage. Secondly have you checked your Temps on the cpu?

A high temp could be casuing the restarting/crashing problem you have.

133 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-10-09
OP
hey again!

The system is built around a full ATX tower case which gets really hot for some reason i have added a fan to the case today to see if that gets rid of some of the heat, the guy is thinking of up[censored] to 256 soon

is that almost definaytely the problem?? or is there anything else i can try??

i have tried incresing the page file memory slightly

430 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-04-09
For the high mem usage i would say that is the reason but i wouldnt be too shure about the overheating. My xp1800 would crash or restart some times but this cpu was getting over 65C.

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
65! Whoah, With a decent heatsink and fan you should be at the most getting in the mid 50's. What's your room temp like?

Mine hangs around the lower 50's and my room temp is like mid 70's.

Athlon XP 2000+

This is with an Alpha PAL heatsink/fan.

133 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-10-09
OP
ok ill advise that this guy upgrades to 256 ill monitor the cpu temperature and see what it is, so what should the temperature be approximately??

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
Yup, just checked my Temp and it's hanging around 53C. I've just been doing desktop stuff for the past couple of hours and my computer has been on for..heck...I dunno around 30hours without a reboot.

It bumps up to around 56-57 under heavy load.

430 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-04-09
I had a problem with my old fan, it was running at 4500rpm instead of 6000 for sum reason but i replaced with a 70mm 4800rpm hsf which i am getting tops of 48C when when running the comp for 2days running unreal tournament mostly thru that time. Plus i bought my aluminium case which helps a large amount which i wasnt really expecting it to at first.