Win 2000 Pro And Half Life

Can anyone tell me why Half Life plays extra fast on W2k Pro? The graphics and sound are great. But when you run or shoot it is like you are running almost in fast fwd. Here are my specs. MSI ms-5169, K6-2 500, Aladin 5, Voodoo 5 5500 with last official w2k drivers, HL update 1110, W2k SP 3, DX 8.

Windows Games 5469 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar15.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-09-29
Can anyone tell me why Half Life plays extra fast on W2k Pro? The graphics and sound are great. But when you run or shoot it is like you are running almost in fast fwd. Here are my specs. MSI ms-5169, K6-2 500, Aladin 5, Voodoo 5 5500 with last official w2k drivers, HL update 1110, W2k SP 3, DX 8.1. I have tried to run the HL and TFC exe in reg mode and Win98 compatibility mode too. Also when I try to join an online server, it cycles through the connect attempt very fast and then says it cant complete the connection. Any help would be appreciated

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar16.webp

1615 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-25
Quote:Can anyone tell me why Half Life plays extra fast on W2k Pro? The graphics and sound are great. But when you run or shoot it is like you are running almost in fast fwd. Here are my specs. MSI ms-5169, K6-2 500, Aladin 5, Voodoo 5 5500 with last official w2k drivers, HL update 1110, W2k SP 3, DX 8.1. I have tried to run the HL and TFC exe in reg mode and Win98 compatibility mode too. Also when I try to join an online server, it cycles through the connect attempt very fast and then says it cant complete the connection. Any help would be appreciated

with those specs you should be glad that sh1t runs extra fast

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-09-29
OP
It acts like I am using a speed hack to make me run and shoot extra fast. Something isnt quite right but I cant find anything on the net about this.

1615 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-25
i don't know what makes this happen on your comp
but does it hurt your gameplay?

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-09-29
OP
In single player, I run and shoot really fast. I havnt been able to connect to a server yet. It is like the game is over-clocked. But I am not using any cheats.

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
What are you comparing this extra speed to? In other words what's your baseline?

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-09-29
OP
The game plays normally. But when I run or shoot a weapon, or hit something with a crowbar, it does it super fast. It looks like a speed cheat.

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

2172 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-26
Counter-Strike has run fine on my pc, don't know about HL. Have you tried removing and reinstalling? Are you running the latest version? I think there are many patches for HL available.

data/avatar/default/avatar20.webp

645 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-09-16
Try tweaking the .cfg files, game speed, max FPS, etc.

1047 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-04-17
make sure you don't have the timedemo enabled. I know in Quake engine games typing timedemo 1 in the console will cause the game to calculate frame rates, when not running a demo the game will run like the way you mentioned.

data/avatar/default/avatar22.webp

1438 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-04
Is ther a reason you haven't connected to a server?

Perhaps you dont have a key which means u got a warez copy?

reinstall it?

get some updates?

if it is a warez version someone may have very well given you one with a built in speed cheat.

Win2k will not speed up only certain parts of your game, it must be the game alone is messed up.

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

1297 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-07-16
Go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Half-Life\Settings
Look at CPUMHZ it should be set to 0 if not change it back to 0 or the other way a round to 1 see that helps any.

1615 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-25
Quote:Go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Half-Life\Settings
Look at CPUMHZ it should be set to 0 if not change it back to 0 or the other way a round to 1 see that helps any.

what exactly does this key do
if it was literaly what it sounds like it is then wouldn't you want to set it to your cpu speed

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
Because CPU speed is relative and 0 is probably autodetect. Also a 400 megahertz PC isn't 400MHZ it's 396 so the math is definetly not accurate. Furthermore an AMD XYZ vs Intel QRS at the same MHZ is totally different so it wouldn't make sense to use that would it?