Win2003 server

Hello all, Got a little problem. I download a trial win2003 server from MS. After installation the system reboot to a black screen, and keyboard does not work. I tried reinstalling serveral times and on 2 seperate computers and it's the same thing.

Windows Networking 2246 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar15.webp

114 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-02-27
Hello all,
Got a little problem. I download a trial win2003 server from MS. After installation the system reboot to a black screen, and keyboard does not work. I tried reinstalling serveral times and on 2 seperate computers and it's the same thing. It will let me log on in safe mode with/without networking option. Any help is welcome as I am at a lost here.

thanks

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
Hmmm, list the specs of both computers. Specifically mobo and video card.

I'm guessing that it's some type of AGP driver issue. Perhaps you need to install the latest VIA AGP GART?

114 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-02-27
OP
The link to dl CRC.EXE is dead.

ok now here's my test machine.

computer1: NEC multimedia machine (kinda like laptop/desktop hybrid)
p3-450,16 gig HD, 128, Savage 3D integrated video,pc card slots

computer 2: supermicro dual p2-450 (2 cpu), 256 RAM, GeForce256 video,scsi card/hd.

I didn't have any problem putting in 2000 server so I figure it's not that picky for 2003 server.

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

239 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-06-19
two computers that differ as much as yours do, and the system dies at the same place on both... looks like a bad download to me. I'd re download the 2003 server software.

Jim

114 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-02-27
OP
Ok I finally got the darn thing working on the NEC test machine. I replace the win2000 savage4 video driver over what MS supply during install and it work (even tho it tells me it's not digitally sign..). Well, thanks for all who respond, time to play....

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
Heh, Guess those comp specs weren't in MS testing. Not suprising since MS seems to be testing less and less these days for hardware compatibility. Heck eventually they'll probably push out MS qualified computers which specific MS approved parts. $10,000 home computers here we come..... (Yeah, I'm exageratting)

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

738 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-11
Another way to look at this is that most of the described hardware listed above is out of warranty .... why test server software on hardware that is no longer supported by the manufacturers.

Granted its use was for test machines, but MS is into the creation of software for production equipment, not test environments.

My 2 cents ....

data/avatar/default/avatar22.webp

1438 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-04
Quote:Heh, Guess those comp specs weren't in MS testing. Not suprising since MS seems to be testing less and less these days for hardware compatibility. Heck eventually they'll probably push out MS qualified computers which specific MS approved parts. $10,000 home computers here we come..... (Yeah, I'm exageratting)

Not really if your a MAC user...lol

data/avatar/default/avatar07.webp

34 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-30
Need to select VGA mode at boot options, change the display settings to a working setting for your monitor 800x600@75hz instead of 1024x768 default, etc. Reboot as normal, monitor will work. I guess that issue slipped by with the old 15" crap CRT monitors I have sitting around, all those techies at M$ with their luxorious LCD's

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

738 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-11
Quote:Not really if your a MAC user...lol

Hey now!

Still fighting to get my first X Serve