Windows 2000

I want to setup a w2K server for a test. It's not hookup to the live network. It's on it own separate hub. Was trying to set it up as a domain controller with no AD or internet connection. Every time I go through the setup as Only server on the network it got as far as configuring Active Directories and a message c ...

Windows Networking 2246 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar15.webp

114 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-02-27
I want to setup a w2K server for a test. It's not hookup to the live network. It's on it own separate hub. Was trying to set it up as a domain controller with no AD or internet connection. Every time I go through the setup as "Only server on the network" it got as far as configuring Active Directories and a message come up "network location cannot be reached". Can it be setup as a domain controller without AD? All network guru feel free to jump in. W2k is new to me. I'm getting a book on AD to learn it right now. Thanks in advance

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar18.webp

83 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-02-07
You need to install the Loopback device - Add new hardware, other devices, Microsoft: AD requires an active network connection to check to see "who it is" on the network. Either that, or plug in a couple of other machines to your hub.

The loopback device "fakes" a network braodcast traffic.