windows 2000 detects the wrong sidewinder

Hi there, I have a problem installing my microsoft sidewinder gamepad. i chose the automatic detection and the sidewinder 3d pro appears and it's not even connected! 8) 8) tried the latest gameport drivers (sb 16 pci) but it wouldn't work.

Windows Games 5469 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-05
Hi there,

I have a problem installing my microsoft sidewinder gamepad. i chose the automatic detection and the sidewinder 3d pro appears and it's not even connected! 8) 8) tried the latest gameport drivers (sb 16 pci) but it wouldn't work.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
Jules

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

37 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-02-23
I might be wrong, but if it's anything like the logitech line ... it's not supported in w2k/wxp when connected via the sound card gaming port (this might be wrong...).

Other than that, did you make sure that the card has the gaming port enabled?

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
Hi Jules,
First off I've just about never had any trouble getting my sidewinder to autodetect in Windows 2000 and prior versions. I am talking about the GamePort version of the Sidewinder game pad 1.0. I think you might try the latest SoundBlaster PCI drivers, because the change to PCI could be the issue. All of my soundblaster cards have been ISA based. I also think that my Ensoniq chipset aka SoundBlaster 64 worked fine. However your SOundblaster PCI is not an Ensoniq chipset so the two should not be compared. If all else fails just buy a SoundBlaster AWE64 ISA it'll cost you all of ten bucks (assuming you still have ISA slots) . Other solutions would be to get an Ensoniq PCi sound card, or buy the USB edition of your game pad. the first two are most likely the cheapest. Be sure to utilize PriceWatch and CNET Shopper in your search.

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
Hi thewizard75,
Just so you know Microsoft natively supports all their hardware in every OS that proceeds the release of a given device. I know I used to work there. They take that very seriously, because after quality, it's their second biggest selling point.
-Christian