Windows 2000 FAQ - Enable L2 cache ??

I am curious The Win2k FAQ on Ntcompatible has just been updated and the only major change I noticed was the bottom line saying 'How can I enable the Level 2 Cache?':- You can enable the Level 2 Cache with the follow registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE => SYSTEM => CurrentControlSet => Control => Session M ...

Customization Tweaking 1789 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar11.webp

7 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-05-09
I am curious

The Win2k FAQ on Ntcompatible has just been updated and the only major change I noticed was the bottom line saying 'How can I enable the Level 2 Cache?':-

"You can enable the Level 2 Cache with the follow registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE => SYSTEM => CurrentControlSet => Control => Session Manager => Memory Management

SecondLevelDataCache
for 256kB Level 2 Cache = 0
for 512kB Level 2 Cache = 200
for 1024kB Level 2 Cache = 400"

What cache is this talking about ?. Are we talking about processor L2 cache here ie the 256k on my T'bird processor ?. Or does this refer to something else entirely.

If it does mean the L2 cache on the CPU, how comes this wasnt enabled before. I thought performance would be noticably slower by having L2 cache off, kinda like the original Celerons.

Is there and advantage to enabling this setting, or in my case setting it to '0' ??

Regards

Chris, aka Stoned

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

314 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-01-17
NOTE: Level 2 (L2) CPU cache size can be sized this way, ONLY IF using earlier CPUs: Intel (and compatibles) 386, 486, Pentium, Pentium Pro, AMD K5/K6/K7, Cyrix, etc, with off-chip L2 cache SRAM memory (external, off the CPU die).

If using newer CPUs: Intel Pentium II/III/IV/Celeron/Xeon, AMD Athlon/Duron/Thunderbird, etc, with on-chip L2 cache SRAM memory (internal, on the CPU die), L2 cache size can *NOT* be altered!

/Toby

7 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-05-09
OP
Ahhh I see now.

Thanks for your reply.

Stoned

21 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-04-12
The registry tweak is not to actually enable or disable the L2 cache of the CPU. It is simply a way of telling Win2K the size of the L2 cache on your system so it can optimize for it. Otherwise, by default, Win2K might not use the correct cache size each time it loads.