windows 2000 not recognizing sound card

I upgraded to windows 2000 a little while ago and needed to reinstall all my drivers. Now my problem is my sound is not working and I assume the sound card needs to be reinstalled. How can I know what sound card is in my machine (without actually opening it up)?.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar24.webp

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-12-16
I upgraded to windows 2000 a little while ago and needed to reinstall all my drivers. Now my problem is my sound is not working and I assume the sound card needs to be reinstalled.

How can I know what sound card is in my machine (without actually opening it up)?

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar12.webp

75 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-05-05
To the best of my knowledge the only way is to open it up and look at it... sorry..
Unless you have some documentation that came with it.

data/avatar/default/avatar28.webp

530 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-09
at boot the computer lists installed devices. Try to press pause at that screen. It should list your audio card if it's plug and play. Put the numbers into google it might find something. I just tested it and if you cant catch it with pause try to put a unbootable floppy in your floopy drive and set the comp to boot from it. Then it will pause with an error e.g. non bootable disk error press any key...

PCI device listing ...

VENDOR ID DEVICE ID DEVICE CLASS
1106 0571 IDE CONTROLLER
10B7 9055 NETWORK ...
10DE 0111 DISPLAY

Then go here http://inf33-www.informatik.unibw-muenchen.de/infothek/computer/tutorial/eprmhtml/eprmx/12529.htm

There are more lists like this if you put ("vendor ID" list) into google.
From that you can see that
1106 is VIA Technologies
10B7 is 3com
10DE is nVidia

Those are chips manufacturers not the actual manufacturers, but you can try and get a generic driver.

BTW this won't work with old isa cards & first check if it's not an onboard audio.

If this doesn't yield any results try a program like sisoft sandra under AGP PCI card busses information you might find what.

Post back if you need more help.