Windows 2000 SP3 is here

English German Not official yet, you know the drill. For those that want to wait. Watch this site: Supposedly the list of SP3 fixes (not up yet as of this typing): SlipStream Thread (integrate SP3 into your 2K CD):.

Feedback 1316 This topic was started by ,

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

314 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-01-17
hmmm, I was just about to post the link but you did beat me DosFreak
Guess I´m an old fart

/Toby

data/avatar/default/avatar19.webp

3857 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-29
Nice link either way. I guess I'll have another push via SMS in the near future...

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
OP
The 30+ day future of course.

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

314 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-01-17
Just installed it on my machine at home and alive and well

Will give it a go at work on the DC's in our test-domain on monday ( a large forest with +10000 users with lots of Exchage & SQL-servers. An exact replica of our production enviorment).

/Toby

177 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-01-02
So this means that the new AppCompat will finally run? Impressive...

data/avatar/default/avatar36.webp

1207 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-27
Well my test domain will recieve SP3 tomorrow, considering it's 1:30am here right now I've got no intention of doing anything with it now
My test domain DC, Exchange Server, SQL Server and at least one workstation will have had to have been running this for 30 days without a single issue before it gets rolled out to my live domain.

Oh the fun starts here, the workstation upgrades always come first, then the dreaded servers - please don't let this be like the infamour NT4 SP which killed servers left, right and centre.

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
OP
The bug fixes are up and have been for the past couple of hours.

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
OP
Windows 2000 SP3 Deployment Tools

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/prem_sp3/deploytools.asp

The Windows 2000 Resource Kit Deployment Tools (deploy.cab) assists system administrators in installing Windows 2000 on multiple computers. This file contains updates to the deployment tools and documentation.

http://premierdownload.microsoft.com/dow...DeployTools.exe

Windows 2000 SP3 Support Tools

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/prem_sp3/supporttools.asp

These updated Windows 2000 Support Tools (support.cab) will help support personnel and network administrators better manage their networks and troubleshoot problems.

http://premierdownload.microsoft.com/download/win2000platform/Tool/SP3/NT5/EN-US/SP3SupportTools.exe

data/avatar/default/avatar33.webp

269 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-02-06
I followed the slimstream guide word by word. I'm booting with the 4 bootdisks, and the setup gets to de "format c:" part, but after that when windows wants to copy the files to the drive it gives and error.

When i boot frmom the cd the setup runs fine till the end...
Any ideas?

data/avatar/default/avatar24.webp

34 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-07-23
How did you find the SP3 links Dosfreak? I have searched (for quiet a while...) SP3 downloads and info in Microsoft site as if I did not know they existed and I found nothing! ;(

It seemed to me that you were warned by Bill himself...

269 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-02-06
Ok a little more details:

i updated the bootdisk image files using bdup.cmd. (what does extract.exe have to do with that? it's not mentioned in your slipstream guide.)

I created the 4 bootdisks in the windows 2000 command prompt with the makeboot.exe from the updated windows 2000 sp3 cd.

I boot with these 4 disks. When on the 4th disk i get to the partition setup part, i set up my partitions, everything goes well. Then setup formats my c: partition in NTFS, so far so good. But just after the format i get following error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following value in the .SIF file used by setup is corrupted or missing:

Value 0 on the line in section [sourcedisksfiles] with key "sp3.cab"

Setup cannot continue. To quit setup press F3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
OP
Yup, that's what it is.

BDUP.CMD uses EXTRACT.EXE to create the images. If your version of extract.exe isn't the same as the one posted at the arstechnica post then the images created will not work. Try downloading the extract.exe from that thread. Place it in your SYSTEM32 directory. Now recreate the images.

Now try the disks.

So you don't have to go through the process of recreating the CD again. Download WinISO. Open up the .ISO that you created with WINISO. Replace the bootdisks in the .ISO with the ones that you created. Now save the .ISO and burn it to CD.

*Connectix VPC helps out greatly when creating CD's creating floppies. You can test .ISO'S & .IMG's without wasting CD's/Floppies/Time.

Quote:Ok a little more details: 
i updated the bootdisk image files using bdup.cmd. (what does extract.exe have to do with that? it's not mentioned in your slipstream guide.)

I created the 4 bootdisks in the windows 2000 command prompt with the makeboot.exe from the updated windows 2000 sp3 cd.

I boot with these 4 disks. When on the 4th disk i get to the partition setup part, i set up my partitions, everything goes well. Then setup formats my c: partition in NTFS, so far so good. But just after the format i get following error:

The following value in the .SIF file used by setup is corrupted or missing:

Value 0 on the line in section [sourcedisksfiles] with key "sp3.cab"

Setup cannot continue. To quit setup press F3

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
OP
BSOD news

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4729

Quote:They said that you have to say "yes" to back up your settings when the SP is first run to avoid potential calamity. 
Well whodathunkit. ;(

Sounds like unstable systems to me....

269 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-02-06
OK thanks for your quick replies, i will try that and tell you later tonight if it worked.

269 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-02-06
It still doesn't work. I still get the same error after the format. I tried all your versions of extract... BDUP.CMD works and seems to make the images fine, the floppies work, till the format is finished then i get that darn error...

I did it in vmware (i rulez!! ) this time cuz i'm sick of formatting my computer over and over again

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
OP
Hmmm, gonna check this out tonight because I coulda swore it worked. Compare the files in the SP3 floppy images to the SP2 floppy images. See if there are any differences.

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
OP
rgodart,

Could you use the Slipstream thread in the Tips & Config forums? This will free up the Feedback forum for what it's for...also we are also discussing this subject in that forum.