Windows 2000:Windows Explorer not working when using right-click ona file

In windows explorer when I right-click on a file in any folder to use copy , paste. . . . . ect. My windows explorer closes down and my desktop refreshes. Please help!.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-26
In windows explorer when I right-click on a file in any folder to use copy , paste.....ect. My windows explorer closes down and my desktop refreshes.
Please help!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar09.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-13
I am now having the same problem in Windows XP XP2, whenever I right click on a file in Windows Explorer. Windows Explorer freezes for about 30 seconds and then shuts down. The desktop refreshes and I am right back to where I started. Went into regedit and looked at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Shell. What exactly should I be lookin for?

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-13
Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded and installed ShellExView. I have about 93 listings. Any suggestions where to start based on my problem?

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-13
Well,it worked! Thanks to you. I selected all of the entries to disable and the problem disappeared so I knew it was one of them. I enabled all of them again and the problem reappeared. Then I began disabling them in groups of 15-20 until I found the group that got rid of the problem. I then enabled that group one by one until I identified the problem entry. BTW, I did not have to reboot each time. My problem was with EncodeDivxContextMenuClass and I currently am leaving it as disabled. Do you think it would be wise just to uninstall Divx from my computer or just leave this as diabled?

data/avatar/default/avatar24.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-28

Thanks you to all for this info - I am a rank amateur who experienced this problem - I took your advice, followed the intructions carefully and it worked!

Thanks again!

data/avatar/default/avatar24.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-28

Yes, in fact I do that with some seniors I have helped get on the web. To them I am a techie genius!

Thanks!

data/avatar/default/avatar18.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-25
I am having the same problem with Win XP and SP2 freezing when i right click on stuff. I would love to try this registry program, but that link to nirsoft.com doesnt work. Does anybody have this program they can send me?

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-02-07
Add one more to the grateful list !

Thanks to all for their advice with the Right-click problem. The software worked a treat for me too (and it also turned out to be DIVX which was the cause of the problem for me too)

Thanks again