Windows Server 2003 + Epson Perfection 1640SU = NO YUO

Anyone get this to work? I can get it working using the Windows scanning wizard, but GOD that sucks. BTW it is connected via the SCSI interface, not that it should make a difference. I have a multiboot setup and it works fine in 2000, 2000 Server, and XP.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar30.webp

125 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-03-26
Anyone get this to work? I can get it working using the Windows scanning wizard, but GOD that sucks.

BTW it is connected via the SCSI interface, not that it should make a difference. I have a multiboot setup and it works fine in 2000, 2000 Server, and XP.

I can't get it to recognize it as a TWAIN source no matter what I do. This same scanner worked just fine under Windows XP.

I have tried both the 5.53 and 5.71 versions of TWAIN available from Epson.

Anyone have some ideas? suggestions?

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

2172 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-26
Did you enable the WIA service? (WIA=Windows Image Acquisition, IIRC)

data/avatar/default/avatar30.webp

125 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-03-26
OP
Yes, I have the WIA service started. That is how I can use the "wizard". Unfortunately, the wizard interface leave something to be desired. I am still unable to use the TWAIN interface though.

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

16 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-06-23
I had a similar problem with my Canon "Canoscan 3000F" scanner in Windows 2003 Server -- I was on the verge of changing OS's when I thought of trying this (it works now):

- The WIA driver works fine. The scanner can complete the device test OK, and I even hear the scanner head moving, so I *know* it's not a USB/hardware/communication/driver/etc. problem.
- When I try to scan from any app that has TWAIN support I get a 'no devices installed' type error.
- My scanner has buttons. The buttons show up as mappable to application launches in the WIA control (in Scanners and Cameras folder).
- To edit the list of apps (and add any arbitrary one you like), use regedit and add them in
<HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\StillImage\Registered Applications>.
- Then, map the app to the scanner button and press it.

Now, when I press the scan button on the scanner, it launches my app with the TWAIN driver loaded and fully accessible -- the actual one that came with my scanner, not just the crappy WIA one. Apparently, you don't even need to have an app that supports command line scanner switches (as the ones that show up in that list normally do); windows will sense the button-press and somehow magically make the TWAIN driver accessible.

Hope this solves your problem too,

~Felix.