Windows XP will not boot with two sticks of 512 MB DDR

Hi i just got 2 sticks of 512 MB PC2700 64Mx64 from Crucial. the problem is the system boots up properly (it will post and Raid Fastbuilt works) with two of them installed, but it just sits there and won't load Windows XP.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

316 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-27
Hi
i just got 2 sticks of 512 MB PC2700 64Mx64 from Crucial.
the problem is the system boots up properly (it will post and Raid Fastbuilt works) with two of them installed, but it just sits there and won't load Windows XP. with only one stick everything works.

i have tried swithcing them arount on every possible configuration on 3 DIMMs but the two of them won't work.

has anybody seen this problem before?
i appreciate any help.

for specs look in signature the DV editing system:

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
Hi Ali,
Please forgive me if I ask something you've already tried, but did you try each stick individually? One of them may be bad. Usually Windows just detects more RAM and works fine, I highly doubt you are having issues with windows related to the quantity of ram. You may have one bad stick or one incompatible stick or perhaps the two sticks are different speeds and simply won't work together. The other possibility is that your P3 Motherboard only supports 768MB of RAM which is highly likely. Also you should turn off quick startups in your bios and have it do more thorough checking of your ram, it may find the problem for you. There could also be a code issue in your bios, do you have the most recent version?

Good Luck,
Christian

316 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-27
OP
the funny part is each of them works (i'm using one right now). but two of them together wont work.

both of them are good. i have tried them both.

316 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-27
OP
Quote:Hi Ali,
The other possibility is that your P3 Motherboard only supports 768MB of RAM which is highly likely. Also you should turn off quick startups in your bios and have it do more thorough checking of your ram, it may find the problem for you. There could also be a code issue in your bios, do you have the most recent version?
Christian

My foult: It is the P4 system with Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra (look in profile).

DV editin sys. profile:
Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra, P4 2.53 GHz 533FBS, Raid 0: Maxtor D740X 6L 80GB + Maxtor DiamondMax 80GB (7200RPM UDMA 133),ATI All-In-Wonder R. 7500 64MB + all kinds of DV editing tools (firewire, D8 camcorders, VCR), LG 48x16x48CDRW

both memories are exactly the same. i just recieved them today.

the problem is it boots into dos and i can run Doc memory test on them, but it won't load windows. so i take one of them out and windows xp comes up. the two of them i just see the flashin cursor.

316 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-27
OP
HA!

It worked!!!! I have no idea how, but it worked.

these computers are not always logical!! Mystery box!

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
Hi Ali,
It sounds like the ram just wasn't seated correclty the first time you tried. In any event I'm glad to hear things are working for you.
-Christian

2172 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-26
As a sidenote, with my Asus P4B533-E (Intel 845-E Chipset) there are 3 slots, but in slots 2 and 3, only single-sided chips can be used in both, or a double-sided chip can go in slot 2. Slots 2 and 3 are 'shared' banks. I suspect this is a 'feature' of the 845 chipsets.

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
Hi Adam,
Don't you just love it when companies like Intel and Microsoft like to come out with these kinds of "Features"? :x
-Christian

316 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-27
OP
Quote:Hi Ali,
It sounds like the ram just wasn't seated correclty the first time you tried. In any event I'm glad to hear things are working for you.
-Christian

nah... it was sitting correctly, i'm pretty sure. It sometimes happen with the 845 chipsets. it happened to me again on an intel D845GLAD motherboard. but magicly it worked after that.

my memories are crucial PC2700, thoes ones were Azen DDR PC2100.

who knows! dumb computers!

2172 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-26
Indeed. Sometimes they do odd things. Just for the sake of discussion, have you tried running MemTest86 on the newly installed RAM?

I doubt it has errors, but by running that, it's completely ruled out. I generally run that overnight after I install new RAM, but that's hardly practical for everyone, just us overly paranoid geeks...

316 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-27
OP
Quote:Indeed. Sometimes they do odd things. Just for the sake of discussion, have you tried running MemTest86 on the newly installed RAM?

I doubt it has errors, but by running that, it's completely ruled out. I generally run that overnight after I install new RAM, but that's hardly practical for everyone, just us overly paranoid geeks...

Eversince this post i'm using the rams in my system, never dared to touch them again!!! My system is very stable so i can say they are working!!!

i have used DocMemory (or something like that) it was very usefull when SDRAM was standard. With SDRAM it picked up any problems in about 20min, or the 2nd loop max. for DDR however it doesn't seem to work, unless tthe memory is really messed up! duh.... you won't need something that tells you what you already know!!